// Twitter Cards // Prexisting Head The Biologist Is In: A Travelling Scientist

Thursday, August 25, 2016

A Travelling Scientist

Woody succulent plant with tiny yellow flower.I just returned from a week of traveling in Nevada and California. We visited with my wife's grandmother for a few days, then headed out on the road. We stopped by the Luther Burbank house and hiked through several botanical gardens. The inevitable consequence of this trip is that I took many photos (of plants, animals, and geology) that will be appearing in posts over the coming months.

For a first sample, the photo at left is a specimen of Oxalis gigantea in the desert house at the San Francisco Botanical Gardens. The species is interesting to me because it is another example of how readily trees can evolve from within groups of plants otherwise composed of herbaceous forms. I also like it because it is one of the many cool looking succulents around.

Next week I'll get back to my regular schedule of more lengthy postings.

No comments:

Post a Comment